Thursday, March 3, 2016

Through the Solar System and beyond.....




SOL #3 out of 31

Through the Solar System and beyond.....
Google Cardboard Virtual Reality in the Classroom


I hope my students have more to say than "nothing"  when their parents ask them "What did you do at school today?"   Because today....we went out of this world and through the Solar System!!! 
Yeap, courtesy of Google Cardboard Virtual Reality. We examined Saturn, Mercury, and Mars. We watched the moon revolve around the Earth.  We marveled at the size of the sun. 

Oh and it doesn't stop there.  There are many more apps that you can download for free to take your students to places they have never been before.  Can you imagine their excitement to get a 360 degree view under the sea or to tour amazing landmarks in just one afternoon? 

Since our little experience with one Google cardboard viewer yesterday, I found out there is a pioneer program called Google Expeditions.  They bring all of this to your school for you so your whole class (or many classes) can take  virtual reality field trips.  


 



 

Even our school's assistant Principal got a glimpse of space!

Check out this video of a first time viewer to see what the experience was like for him!!!











8 comments:

  1. That is amazing!! How fun! I love how you 'marveled at the sun' and 'watched the moon revolve around the sun.' What a great experience - thank you for a great slice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is just amazing how many resources there are available, as long as you are a brave soul who is willing to step out of the box a bit! Fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't get the video to play.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for letting me know. I think I have taken care of it now!

      Delete
  3. What!? This is amazing! I'm totally sharing this with all the teachers I work with, pronto! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeahhhhh!! I am so glad someone else gets as excited as I do about new things especially technology. Believe me---the kids will love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful! Thank you for giving us a peek into a slice of your experience! You're such a great teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How engaging for your students! Google cardboard makes great Christmas presents!! I gave out several 2 years ago to my children and techy adults in the family. They were a huge hit.

    ReplyDelete