Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Geo-what? #1

SOL #1 out of 31

Geo-what?
Geocaching.
How do you say that?
Geo-”cash”?
Is there really cash?
Yes, all these questions were swirling in my mind the first several times I heard anyone mention Geocaching. Even though I wasn’t sure what it was all about, I was intrigued and had to find out what is   “worldwide treasure hunt” was all about.
Intro video &  FAQs


What a geocache might look like.
geo.jpg
To begin, I downloaded the geocache app to my phone. I was excited to see there were actually “hidden treasures” (a.k.a. caches) within walking distance from our house.  (To be fair, we live very near public access walking trails that start right by our home.)  So the kids and I set off to find to find a geocache.  We didn’t have to go far before we found the first one.  It turned out to be right behind our neighbor’s house in a brushy area. It was a thrill to find and kind of unbelievable that it had been here all along and we never even knew it.  The cache itself was a large ammo container filled with little trinkets to trade and a log book. We signed the book picked out a trinket and left one behind. We resealed the box and secretly placed the cache right back where we found it!! Mission accomplished. But the app tells us there’s another not far away.  So, of course, we had to find it.  
Following the GPS locations, we hiked a little further down the trail  which led us to an open park area.  We looked around wondering where the cache could possibly be hidden, when a giant tree with about an eye-level opening, caught our eyes. . Sure enough, that is where we found our second geocache. We eagerly retrieved the smaller box from the hole, opened it, signed the logbook, pilfered through and traded swap items.
Many geocache-finds later, I can say, we are hooked. We have introduced geocaching to several friends and family. No matter where they live, they are able to take part in this fabulous treasure hunt too.  Now whenever we are near a new place or eager for an adventure, we open the app and follow the “treasure map” to a new find!
Join the treasure hunt that is happening right now.
Find the caches near you www.geocaching.com
geo2.jpg
geocache2.jpg
Above: Here are my kids and my niece on one of our geocaching adventures just off a hiking trail near grandma and papa’s house recently!

5 comments:

  1. What a fun activity to do with your family. I accidently found a geocach when I was hunting for a Letterbox. Letterboxing is similar but is the old fashioned way. You might like to try that too. I think I may try geocaching though. I like the idea of using my phone. Hope you find more treasures. Jackie http://familytrove.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Letterboxing sounds fun especially for the classroom. I actually have some ideas for Geocaching for the classroom (stay tuned for a blog post tomorrow!!)

      Delete
  2. We tried geocaching several years ago before phone apps and GPS! I bet it's more fun now! Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now after your Day 2 and reading Day 1 I am totally intrigued and will let the teachers that I work with now about this new type of treasure hunt. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! Thanks for commenting. I will try to recruit a fellow teacher to try this with me too!

    ReplyDelete