Tuesday, March 29, 2016

#29 Lullaby



S.O.L. # 29 out of 31

(Thank you to Joyce Sidman for the Lullaby poem idea)

My Little Girl's Lullaby


Now that the school day is done,
The other kids have all gone home
I wait for you.

The swirling letters in my head settle 
like quiet books on a shelf
My little legs can run no more
I sit and rest
I wait for you

My mind stops singing
My eyes stop blinking
I wait for you

My head is heavy
My body curls up like a snail in its shell
I can wait no more…..
Z….
    Z….
           z…...
This is how I found my tired Kindergarten daughter after school today.  
She had fallen asleep  as she was waiting for me to finish up in my room before we could go home for the day. 

2 comments:

  1. Your words capture the picture before I ever saw the picture. I love the lines "My mind stops singing
    My eyes stop blinking
    I wait for you"
    and the fact that you wrote this from her perspective freezes this memory in time...in her voice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful....the writing then the photo! I'll never forget "I wait for you" .... sob!

    ReplyDelete