Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Waffles & Chocolate Part 2

S.O.L. #17 out of 31
Waffles & Chocolate:
the recipe


It is a family tradition for special occasions but usually for no reason at all.  You can make it just for your own bunch or invite everyone over for Waffles and Chocolate. Yeap that’s right, Waffles with chocolate gravy poured all over with a dallop of cool whip right in the middle.
 
As far back as any of my mom’s kin can trace is to my  great-grandmother.  My grandma, Myrtle Hailey (1909-2007), made it for her seven children.  She claims to have learned the recipe from "Mother Hailey". That would have been my grandfather's mother, Nancy Elizabeth Miller Hailey 1855-1938. I hope it keeps getting passed on through the generations.   So far it has touched six generations.  

The problem is  I’m worried I will never know how to make it “just right”.  See every time I help  my mama make it, the recipe seems to change...or at least to me, it sounds different. I have never tried making it on my own really.  But my mamma never uses a measuring device as she makes it. She just adds a large scoopful, or a heaping teaspoon, or tells me to add enough ‘til it's the right consistency.  ahhhh…..How am I supposed to know?
"Stir out the lumps, use enough to make it pourable”. ..... Geez….How much is that?
I actually got her to put the recipe on paper once.  I have it framed and is on the wall in my kitchen.  I suppose I’d better keep trying.  My children are expecting waffles and chocolate and for that I am grateful!



Waffles & Chocolate
1 can evaporated milk
1 can water (just use the empty milk can)
½ cup of white sugar
1 ½ Tbsp of unsweetened cocoa powder
1 ½ Tbsp all purpose flour
1 ½ Tbsp cornstarch
1 cube margarine
1 ½ tbsp vanilla

Heat canned milk and water to just short of boiling. (DO NOT BOIL) Mix dry ingredients to prevent lumps. Stir in a little water to smooth any lumps. Stir in enough water to make it pourable. Gravy should thicken when the mixture is added to hot liquid. Stir constantly and remove from heat. Add margarine and vanilla. (If gravy doesn’t thicken add a mixture of 1 tbsp cornstarch and water) If too thin, add milk or water ‘til it is the right consistency) Serve with half frozen Cool Whip on top.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy and thanks for the recipe. How nice that you have a family recipe and tradition that has touched six generations. I am sure it will continue...I mean...who would not want to continue a waffle with chocolate gravy on it!! Jackie http://familytrove.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember asking my grandmother what the recipe was for her biscuits. Put some flour in, then some milk, sugar - don't for get a bit of sugar - salt...okay, but how much? Until it feels right. My cooking has gotten to be like that, too, now, even if I have a recipe. It has to feel right or something's wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many of our parents and grandparents used the til it looks right method of measuring. This sounds yummy. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete